5 Tips to Make Spirituality Work for You at Work Place
Spirituality is the key to happiness, health and harmony. So when you sit down in a meditative position with crossed legs and closed eyes you are already on your way to performing a sadhana. You breathe deep – that’s when you are focusing on prana. You relax and let go. Even as you read this you feel a hypnotic effect on your entire body. You are in a relaxed state of mind! But soon you realize that you have to rush back to your daily chores.
The balance sheet requires your attention and you are still not prepared for the 6.00 p.m. boardroom meeting. Your stress levels shoot up again! What do you do now? If you go by the studies that talk about the effects of spirituality on stress levels, probably you will sit again in meditation to counter all the stress building inside. However, that is when you have to draw the line. When it comes to spirituality and career, there is a fine line between being spiritual and behaving spirituality. With CareerBuilder India, take a look when and where spirituality matters at work:
1. Freedom to Practice Your Own Beliefs: While research clearly points out that giving all employees equal freedom to practice their own personal spiritual beliefs at workplace increases productivity, this does not mean that “every” belief qualifies to be spiritual. Furthermore, when opinions and views differ, there can be clashes. Naturally then, there have to be checks and controls on personal practices. It is essential to keep organizational interests above spiritual, as far as possible.
2. Discipline in Practice: “Taking time to do nothing often brings everything into perspective”. While that is a spot-on quote by Doe Zantamata on spirituality, its application at workplace can bear disastrous effects. You can’t ignore the software testing assignment that stares you right in the face imagining each bug is slowly disappearing. Everyone knows the power of positive thinking; however, everyone also knows how fatal daydreaming can be.
3. Moral and Morale: Spirituality takes a significant amount of credit in increasing the quotient of both moral and morale. When you sit in contemplation for a while, letting thoughts come to you and then vanish, you feel a sense of equilibrium. There is a lot of scientific data that confirms the positive effect that spirituality has on morale. As far as morale is concerned when you take up spirituality seriously you will see yourself religiously completing your financial reports daily.
4. The Happiness Quotient: An understated but important fact is that the freedom to practice spirituality at workplace increases the levels of endorphins in employees. They stay calm, relaxed and happy. Work pressure slowly starts taking a backseat in their minds and they start concentrating on the present.
5. Acceptance: Change has never been embraced willingly whether it knocked at the workplace or in your personal lives. Now that you are on the path of spirituality you understand that all obstacles are self created; that things go wrong when you don’t try. And, change is just a way of life. So you look forward to change rather than looking it as a notorious agent of chaos.
Your inner spring of life can flow will take the right course only when you know how to tame it. Let it not create obstructions in the life of your fellow members. Live and work in perfect understanding.