In the wake of Monsoon this year, the national capital is facing a fever surge brought on by mosquito bites and resulting in illnesses like Chikungunya. As per latest reports, there have been 423 cases of chikungunya already diagnosed and the number is still rising. The news is certainly not pleasing and has created an atmosphere of anxiety amongst people- especially the working professionals who cannot avoid traveling to and from workplace. Panic is not the way out. The act of bravery lies in being alert, and prevented. If the stage has crossed, CareerBuilder brings some quick health tips for all working professionals.
But before you try them, get aware of what this communicable disease is all about.
Chikungunya- What is it? What are the symptoms?
It is a viral disease only caused by mosquitoes, which emerge in the monsoon. Some of the common symptoms to be identified include joint pain, fever, head and muscle cramps, swelling in joints and most importantly- body rashes. The disease has taken a toll on the health of the city and is rising on an unstoppable speed. While, the disease does not often results in death of the patient, but the symptoms suffice to make the person in a miserable condition. Transmitted by Aedes albopictus and Aedes aegypti, two species which cause various other mosquito-borne illnesses such as dengue, Chikungunya is hard to control once one is infected and stays for a prolonged period. Remember, mosquitoes causing this disease are active in the day time as well, hence utmost prevention and care is required.
Prevention from Chikungunya infection for working professionals
You travel to and from work and might not be noticing the mosquitoes around you while waiting for the cab or might while at work. This hence requires immediate prevention when a disease like Chikungunya once caused, may leave you on bed, requiring long leaves from office.
How working professionals can stay prevented from Chikungunya
- Stay alert! Do not choose travel routes which are dirty
- Avoid mosquito bites. Do not go for window seats in a public conveyance.
- Keep your surrounding areas clean- your workstation or your bedroom
- Stay away from standing near flower vases with water, barrels or buckets.
- Wear full-sleeves shirts, t-shirts, or whichever attire you carry at workplace
- Use oil of lemon eucalyptus, which provides long-lasting protection from insects
- Avoid going out for coffee or smoke breaks during rains
What if Chikungunya has caused you already?
Tips to cure Chikungunya- For working professionals
- Carry 4-5 Tulsa (basil) leaves at workplace. Get them boiled in water and have them after meal. This would not only reduce your fever but boost immunity during work.
- Consuming coconut water s a good remedy both for the liver and the chikungunya virus. Coconut water detoxifies the liver and allows for speedy recovery.
- Apply coconut oil on body prior to taking bath or moving out for work. This will help in rashes and itching.
- Eat raw carrots before meals at office. This will protect from joint pains and muscle aches.
- Apply clove oil or garlic paste for relief from paining joints.
When diseases like Chikungunya are commonly spreading across the nation, working professionals must not overlook the consequences of getting infected by them. Following preventive measures and tips mentioned above can go a long way in keeping you fit and healthy before, after and during work.
How to spread awareness about Chikungunya at workplace?
It does not matter if you are not an HR. If you have encountered with the news, you can simply share the symptoms and preventive measures in your team followed by healthy sessions. The same can be done by employers who wish to ensure a healthy and happy organizational culture at workplace.