Gender Equality at workplace

Supriya Nigam is a lead Content Writer & Digital Marketing Strategist at CareerBuilder India. Her passion for helping people in all aspects of digital marketing flows through in the expert HR Technology industry coverage she provides. Also, an avid Yoga practitioner.

In 2017 the promise of gender equality at workplace seems closer than ever. A new survey report by CareerBuilder India exhibits that there is a significant reduction in gender inequality at the workplace. When it comes to leadership and management qualities such as a capacity of innovation and intelligence women are now perceived as indistinguishable from their male peers.

Understanding the concept of Gender Equality at Workplace

In simple words, gender inequality describes as discriminative perception and behaviour against women based on their gender.

What is the aim of gender equality at work?

The intent of gender equality program or campaign is to accomplish broadly equal outcomes for men and women. To achieve this, we need:

  1. Elimination of gender discrimination, specifically by caring and family responsibilities.
  2. Access to every industry and occupation, including all leadership roles regardless of gender.
  3. Equal participation of women and removal of all barriers to the full in the workforce.
  4. To render equal pay for work of comparable or equal value.

Results of Gender Equality at Workplace 2017 Survey

Respondent Details

59 percent female and 41 percent male respondents participated in the survey.

Among all 65 percent, respondents belong to the age group of 25 to 34 followed by 29 percent of respondents who are in age group of 35 to 44. There was a small percentage of those surveyed (6 percent) who belong to the age group of 65 and 74.

Also Read:  Creating Workplace Culture Trust Oriented

Key Findings

  • An equal proportion of respondents (29%) found either very happy or somewhat happy with opportunities for advancement at their organization. While 6 percent respondents are considered “very unhappy.”
  • 41 percent of respondents agreed that gender is “not important at all” in determining promotions at their organisations.
  • When asked how important are professional or academic certifications in deciding promotions at their organization, a huge number of respondents (47 percent) agreed that it is “somewhat important” whereas other 18 percent indicated that it is “not important at all.”
  • A significant percentage of respondents (69 percent) agreed that among senior level staff members “more or all are men” who have assisted them in their career.
  • 67 percent of respondents indicated that in their organization “women and men have the equal opportunities.
  • 35 percent of respondents felt that their gender has played a role in missing out a promotion, raise, key assignment or chance to get ahead, whereas 65 percent of respondents did not agree on same.
  • 76 percent respondents believed that their gender would not make much difference when it comes career advancement.
  • 35 percent respondents felt that gender diversity is important for their direct managers but does not hold a high priority. While 24 percent respondents said, gender diversity is not too important for their direct managers.
  • A huge percentage of respondents (71%) admitted that their workplace does not offer gender diversity program.
Also Read:  Jobs and Skills Sets: Account Executive

When it comes to gender equality at the place of work, a substantial improvement is noted as compared to past couple of years. It is essential for companies to achieve gender equality not because it is the right thing to do and fair but because it is linked to country’s overall economic growth.

 

( 134 visits )